17 March 2009

the way to wonderland - post four

Exhausted, the girl made herself into a pile and began to think out all of this information and hoped that her own logic had some shared characteristics with this world’s. The evolution of these people was clearly out of her realm. She couldn’t move easily. She could see her own gravity. It was not subject to her will. There was some strange religion of which she was a part. Perhaps the bands were some sort of ceremonial magic? Her frustration bubbled and built until she couldn’t just remain thinking. More information, more experience. That is what she really needed. How could she really make any real judgments based on three-legged men and her own capacity to move? Up she stood and took a step. Her foot snapped back to its place beside the road. Was she stuck here? No. She tried the other foot. Same result. She tried to kick her one foot, then the other, and then both. Nothing. Crawling? Maybe that was her movement? Crouching down, her hands reached out to the ground but jerked back to her body immediately before touching the ground.

I WANT TO CROSS THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!

Her voice scared her. The horses looked at her, but she barely noticed because her leg tethers were suddenly gone. It took her a moment to understand this, and she sprinted across the road. Her run would have kept going clear into the pasture, only she fell hard onto the ground once she had completed the crossing, the bonds back in place. Nooooooooo. She cried. Her face and hands hurt from the scrapes and blossoming bruises, but the bitterness in her sobs was from her loss of freedom. She wanted to go home now. She wanted a warm bath and a good dinner and her parents reading to her before she fell asleep.

The horses stirred.
Poor girl. It’s so hard to watch them when they are first born. I hope this one doesn’t take a long time to learn the method.

Can’t we just tell her? I’ve seen this show so many times I’m bored of it.

I just don’t think that would be fair, do you?

Excuse me?
She called across to the beasts. You seem to know how to help me. Please help me. I just want to…

Yes?
The enthusiasm perked the horses ears.

I don’t know.

Oh.
Their faces fell longer and they returned to their grass.

So close.

I know.

Close to what?

If you don’t know, we certainly can’t tell you.

Yes, you can.

Please, argue with us. That will get you what you want.

I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be stuck here forever or even for five more seconds. I want to be free, and you two act like you know how to get free.
She would have stamped her foot into the dirt if she could.

That’s a start.

What?

Know what you don’t want. It’s a start.

True. Not the best start we’ve seen, but not the worst.

Certainly not original.

Definitely not.

How did you get free?

The horses cackled, and the sound of it made her skin crawl and her bands shudder. We were never bonded. We’re horses, you silly ass. [ed. Couldn’t help myself]

Please. I …

What happened before you crossed the road?

You can’t help her.

Hush. What happened?

I yelled. Oh! GIVE ME FREEDOM!

I’m done helping if you continue to use that grating pitch and volume.

But

Do you want my help?

Yes, please.

Now think. What happened before you crossed the road?

I yelled… that I wanted to cross the road?

The horse nodded. Did you know why?

To get to the other side?

What?

Nothing. I just wanted to cross the road.

Exactly.

Okay. I want wave at the horses
The band evaporated. She waved and casually tried to place her hand on her hip, but the band grabbed hold and moved it back into place. You have got to be kidding me. I have to state every movement I want to make before I make it?

Only if you have a particularly disinterested body.

Can we please move on? There’s no show any longer, and I would like to find greener grass. No offense, chicken, but you are not the most interesting thing in the meadow. This grass has more to offer.

She had stopped listening and was trying to find the right mental phrases to accomplish a ten step trip down the dirt road.

It's back! Previous wonderland posts: one, two, & three

No comments:

Post a Comment