16 March 2009

locked in

So tell me about you. What do you like to do. Where do you hang out. What is your favourite place you've ever been?

I've never been off the island.

Never?

Nope.

But you've been to The City, right?

Nope.

What? Why?

Why would I need to leave? Everything I need is here.

But... the world is so much bigger than Long Island. Soooooo much bigger. Never? Really really never? Like your parents didn't take you to the Met? Your school didn't take you in to see ... well, anything?

No. It's not that big a deal.

Of course it is. It's the thing you chose to tell me of all the things you could have told me.

Yeah. It's usually the one that gets a reaction.

I bet.

Yours though seems to be particularly ... surprised.

You're nearly 40, and of the entire world, you have chosen to only see the few miles around where you were born.

Yes.

Are you proud of that?

Yes.

Why?

Because it's my home and I know everything about it.

Like where every nail salon is?

Okay. It was nice meeting you, but this isn't going to work. Have a good evening.

See ya. (pause) Crazy.

~~~~~~~~

So tell me about you. What do you like to do. Where do you hang out. What is your favourite place you've ever been?

I've never been off the island.

Never?

Nope.

But you've been to The City, right?

Nope.

Any particular reason why?

I just haven't been. I love Long Island and never have found a compelling need to leave.

Oh.

Think I'm weird?

Truthfully, yes. I love seeing new places, getting away from home. I - I guess I'm having trouble understanding not needing to see more of the world.

Well...

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm processing I guess.

Yeah. Well, while you process, I'm going to get going. It was nice meeting you. Maybe I'll see you around sometime?

Probably not. I only came out here for this. I hardly ever get out to Long Island. Unless there is a reason.

Ah. Okay. Well, goodnight.

Goodnight. (pause) Weird.

~~~~~~~

So tell me about you. What do you like to do. Where do you hang out. What is your favourite place you've ever been?

I've never been off the island.

Never?

Nope.

But you've been to The City, right?

Nope.

Well, let's go!

What?

Let's go. Come on. I'll show you around.

Wait. I...

It's a great place. So much to see.

I'm not sure I

It'll be great. Do you like museums? Theatre? Music? What kind of food do you like?

I don't think

What?

We just met. I don't think it's a good idea.

Oh. Yeah, I'm sorry.

Also, I like Long Island. Let's just do something around here.

Okay. What would like to do?

Go watch the sun set over the Atlantic.

Sounds great.

Great.

Maybe next time, you could come to Brooklyn or Manhattan?

Maybe. We'll see.

I mean, you can't not want to see more than Long Island, right?

I don't know. It's been fine for me so far.

Oh.

Shall we?

Sure.

I heard this girl at my school once say that she had never been off Long Island, not even to NYC, and that she had no desire to ever go. I was trying here to find a way to empathize with her, or at least understand, but I could just find three different ways of ending up back at judgmental.

No comments:

Post a Comment