01 April 2009

the way to wonderland - post five

She had stopped listening and was trying to find the right mental phrases to accomplish a ten-step trip down the dirt road. A shiny pebble a few paces down would work. Her thoughts ran quickly through a few phrases. I want to pick up the pebble. I want to stand next to the pebble. I want to walk to the pebble. Success. The bands left her legs until she stood next to the pebble. Her armbands vanished at that point, and she picked it up. Step by tedious step and backwards was how it went. How on earth did those tripod men keep such a pace? You had to have so much information or be able to moment by moment know precisely what you wanted. She wondered if she would be here long enough to learn the tricks and shortcuts that would make life livable. But what about the cult? Her brain was firing and the bands held her still. Focus was what she needed. Another pebble would be helpful. There was one glinting at twenty paces. I want to walk to the pebble. Nothing. Perhaps it wasn’t’ a pebble? I want to walk to the shiny object. Temporary liberation. She must remember: her movements required specificity, but objects could be general.

I did a little bit of work on it last night. I've gotten to the point where I don't know where this story is going anymore. I love that moment, because possibility and creativity can really open up. It does mean that some serious editing is in my future though. Previous posts are here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment