23 January 2009

seasonal poems

spring

I shed three teardrops on the dead earth
A tree blooms
Grey fades and parts its curtain
Vibrance
Unlocked: it is the world
Barefoot leaps across the wild plain
Drumbeats and heartbeats
Full breath, full sigh
I live again


summer

Pregnant trees and dark, deep oceans
Yellow sun burns
Floating out past the day
Caressed
The senses unlocked and mad with sensation
I am infinite.


fall

Brown, red, and gold
delicately float on the breeze
Balance precariously on my
head, shoulder, foot
The gentlest movement
continues the journey down
Crumpled siblings reunite
underfoot
I dance to their song


winter

My head a grey of snow
Dormant trees tap at my door
Their long fingers
Begging away the cold
I hide beneath the blankets

I wrote these for my family. They were going to be Christmas gifts. I was going to take pictures of each season in New York and make a collage with the poem in a frame or shadowbox. Time got away from me that year, and they all ended up with books.

No comments:

Post a Comment