17 February 2009

the pro-choice morality play, part four

Beth
So, Dick, what do you think? Do you think you can be a better mother, a better woman, that we are? (removes tape or whatever prevented him from speaking)

Dick
I don’t know. I just want my life back.

Laina
The one where you knew the best thing for Jace before even walking through a van door, before you even knew her name, age, family, circumstances, thoughts, dreams, aspirations, and all of those things that culminate in the whole of who she is?

Dick
I … I just want my life back. Please. This is too much. I, I don’t. I…

Beth
Oh don’t cry, dear. Everything will work out. You’ll realize that this child is the baby you never knew you wanted.

Laina
Yeah. Look, we can’t hold you here forever. Once you walk through that door, all we can do is hope that you will make the best choice for you and your child. (releases the Dick restraints)

Beth
I hope you don’t think we were too harsh, but the ends justify the means, right?

Dick
I… Can I go?

Laina
Yes. (opens the door) We wish you well.

Beth
Both of you. (Dick leaves)

SCENE III
Outside of the clinic. The same crowd is still there making the same noise. Dick enters and crosses to the clinic. The security guard stops him.

Dick
I have an appointment.

The security guard lets him by. The crowd mumbles trying to figure out what just happened/how he got in there. Some probably try to enter, repeating the appointment line but are stopped by the guard.

SCENE IV
Inside the clinic. Dick waits in an examination room (complete with stirrups!) Beth enters in white lab coat.

Beth
Dick! What… Hello.

Dick
Wait. I… I can’t be pregnant. I can’t have a baby. I don’t want to do this.

Beth
Hey. It’s okay. Look. Here we are all about options. I’d like you to speak with our social worker. She’s trained to go over all the options including what sort of help is available to you.

Dick
Look. That’s nice and all, but I know what I want. I don’t want to be pregnant. I’m done.

Beth
Okay, but it is part of the process, so just let me get her. (She pokes her head out the door and motions for someone to come in – of course it’s Laina)

Laina
Hi, Dick. How are you?

Dick
I’m not good. I’m just ready to get back to normal.

Laina
I understand. Now, we just want to make sure that you are choosing to terminate your pregnancy on your own. No one is forcing you to do it?

Dick
No… why would…

Beth
It happens more than you would think.

Dick
Really? But why would the clinic care?

Laina
Pro-choice means all choices. We council people on keeping their babies, putting them up for adoption, and terminating their pregnancies. Contrary to some opinions, this is not an abortion mill.

Dick
I didn’t know.

Beth
Very few of those protesters choose to find out. It’s easier to just make assumptions and believe what other people tell them.

Dick
I’m sorry.

Laina
Thank you.

Beth
Dick, we do need to move forward. We need to confirm that you are pregnant before we move forward. Also, I have to show an ultrasound of the fetus as well as make the appointment for the procedure at least 24 hours away.

Dick
We can’t do it all now?

Laina
Unfortunately, we can’t.

Dick
I won’t tell anyone.

Beth
I’m sorry, Dick, but we can’t put the clinic in the crosshairs of legal action.

Laina
Hey! At least you are over 18, so we won’t have to ask your parents!

Dick
This is so stupid! I know what I want. I shouldn’t have to wait.

Beth
That’s the law. Sorry. Your legislators apparently know better than you. Now, can you lay back. We have to do the ultrasound. (knock at the door) Come in. (Jace enters)

Laina
Hi, Jace.

Dick
Oh. Hi. I…

Jace
I think we should tell him now.

Dick
I’m not pregnant, am I?

Beth
No.

Dick
You can’t implant a fetus in a liver, can you?

Laina
We can. Jace decided that she didn’t want to go through with it. It was her choice.

Jace
I wanted them to make you think you were pregnant and see what happened. So. I’m still pregnant. And I’m still trying to make a decision. I have four children. My husband trusts me in this decision. I want to send my children to college. I want so many things for them that a new child will make more difficult to pay for. I love my children. I would love any new child. So, Dick, what do you think I should do?

Dick
I… I think you should… I…

Jace
Well?

Dick
I don’t know. What do you think you should do?

Laina & Beth
Exactly.

I'm not sure if this is the best ending, but it's a start.

Part One; Part Two; Part Three

No comments:

Post a Comment