09 February 2009

grandmother's story

The clouds were painting perfect, nearly unbelievable and such a blessing. The woman sang as she stepped out of the shower and toweled the renegade water off her body. She called to her husband that it was time to get up and checked the bed when no answer came. No one there. She was happy that he knew today was special and not to give her any grief. She dusted herself with the rose-scented powder her younger sister gave her for Christmas and put on her robe. A little breakfast and then she would make herself up and dress.

The smell of coffee and eggs and bacon filled the house outside of her room She looked in the boys’ room out of habit and headed to the kitchen. The living room added another smell. Where those pancakes? Yes, definitely pancakes, her favorite.

Honey, I am never going to fit into my clothes after eating all that.

He whirled around beaming already dressed for the day.

Good morning! An extended and surprising kiss. You’ll look wonderful no matter what. Gotta have a good start to today, right? Plus I made it special. Please?

Okay, dear. She reached for the coffee mug cabinet door.

Uh uh uh. Sit down.

But…

I would like to serve you this morning.

He gently scooted her to the table, pulled out the chair, placed the napkin in her lap, and began caricaturing a snooty waiter.

And what would the mademoiselle have this morning?

Her guffaws snorted.

If the lady wishes, our special today is a plate of eggs, bacon and pancakes and comes with a piping hot mug of our finest Folgers coffee.

Stop! My stomach! I’ll have that.

Yes, madam.

Once the plates were set and the coffee poured, he looked at her and asked, Will you do the honors?

The bowed their heads, and she blessed the food to the nourishment of their bodies and sent thanks for their healthy children and granddaughters.

Are you nervous?

I’m trying not to be. It’s not like there is any going back now. Once I’m up there, I should be fine, right? It can’t be that much harder than singing?

You’ll be wonderful.

This was the right decision? I’m not making a fool of myself or you or the family?

We’ve always followed where the Lord leads. I wouldn’t doubt Him now.

Yes. It’s just not what I expected of life.

No.

The meal ended in thought. He cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher. She went to their room and made up her face and dressed in the new dress she bought for the occasion. Sensible, comfortable and lovely, it gave her a shot of confidence.

Bobby, we need to get going soon. I don’t want to rush you, but we shouldn’t be late.

I’m almost ready. Just need to slip on my shoes. Can you grab my purse?

Already done.

This is the start of the story for my grandmother. I know the general plot but this is as far as I was able to get. This piece is fiction, so these characters are not my family. They are my family filtered through my brain and placed in this plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment